Covid-19:Greater risk for diabetes: 17 experts said –
Healthy people can become sugar patients with virus, 30% more risk on old patients.
- A panel of 17 international experts from across the world said this, saying – Connection found between covid-19 and diabetes
- According to researchers, corona affects glucose metabolism in addition to lungs, in which the role of pancreas is important.
Covid-19 can also cause diabetes in healthy people and may worsen the condition of those who are already struggling with diabetes. The panel of 17 international experts from around the world has said this after research on many matters. These important connections between Covid-19 and diabetes have been found in clinical trials conducted so far.
- According to research published in the New England Journal of Medicine,the risk of death of such patients increases by up to 30 %in patients with diabetes, who are more vulnerable to Covid-19.
- The WHO recently said that people who are already struggling with heart disease,asthma and diabetes are in high risk zone. They are at highest risk of corona infection.
Covid-19:Greater risk for diabetes:
Effect of corona on organs associated with glucose metabolism:
Researchers say recent research suggests that when the coronavirus spreads infection in the body by binding to the ACE-2 receptor, it not only clings to the lungs, but also affects the tissues and organs involved in glucose metabolism. It includes pancreas, small intestine, tissue, liver and kidney.
Advice for diabetes patients to stay alert:
Researchers say that the coronavirus spreads its infection, disrupting the way the body functions. Glucose impedes the process of metabolism and the patient’s condition starts to become fragile, so those who are diabetic patients need to be alert.
How corona is changing glucose metabolism is unclear:
Diabetes is one of the most serious diseases, according to Francesco Rubino, professor of metabolic surgery at King’s College London. We are currently understanding the connection between the corona epidemic and diabetes. How corona changes glucose metabolism after infection is yet to be elucidated.
What does (ICMR) Indian Council of Medical Research Advisory say
According to the Advisory of the ICMR, generally patients who have uncontrolled blood sugar are more likely to get infections.
In this case, take special care of catering and include exercise in the routine. Take diabetes-related medicines on time so that blood sugar remains under control. In such patients, more care is required in case of infection, they have to monitor their bloodsugar.
Covid-19:Greater risk for diabetes:
From 4 points, understand Covid-19 and diabetes connection:
1.Such risk increases in healthy people: Diabetologist Dr. Prakash Keswani of SMS Hospital Jaipur says that the virus of Kovid-19 can directly infect the insulin-making beta cells present in the pancreas. Insulin production will decrease in patients with beta cells damage. In such a situation, the risk of new diabetes will increase even among those who are healthy.
2.Type-1 diabetes can also occur: Sometimes the infection is more severe, in which case type-1 diabetes or diabetic ketoacidosis can also occur. Diabetic ketoacidosis is a condition when the level of sugar in the body increases due to too much insulin deficiency.
4.That’s why the risk of diabetic people is high: the risk of every infection is higher in diabetic patients. In such patients, the efficiency of the immune system cells (lymphocytes, neutrophils) decreases. Because of this, antibodies are reduced in the body. Due to the lack of strength to fight the disease, it is not able to eliminate the foreign things, the result is an increased risk of life.
Expert advice: Take protein in the diet, check blood sugar and walk for 10 minutes every hour
- Diabetologist Dr. Prakash Keswani explains that due to lockdown, the physical activity of diabetes patients is reduced due to reduced sugar.
- Do 40-40 minutes exercise at home in the morning and evening. Stand for 10 minutes every hour or walk in the house.
- Keep the body active in every situation. Take more protein in food to make antibodies and increase immunity.
- Keep checking sugar, consult a doctor if it is increased.
you may also read following articles,